Urad Dal - 1 cup
Par Boiled Rice - 3 cups
Fenugreek Seeds - 1tsp
Salt to taste
1. Soak the Urad dal with fenugreek seeds in water for 6 hours
2. Similarly soak the rice in water for 6 hours seperately
3. After six hours, grind the urad dal in to a smooth fluffy batter (add little water at intervals)
4. Shift the batter in to a large vessel and grind the rice in to smooth creamy batter (add little water at intervals)
5. Add the rice batter to the urad dal batter and mix together. Leave it to ferment overnight.
Your idli, dosa batter is ready!
Note: No need to add salt, if you want to use it over 3 or 4 days.
Making the dosa:
6. Take desired amount of the batter in a vessel. Add little water and salt to taste and mix gently.
7. Take a large scoop (stainless steel) of the batter and pour on to the dosa pan.
8. Use the curvy bottom of the scoop to shape the batter in to thin dosa.
9. Spread 1 or 2 tsp of oil overall on the batter and wait for the dosa to cook and change color
10. Remove the dosa when its crispy as desired and serve hot with chutney, sambar or any dip of your choice!